GRASSROOTS ENTRY LEVEL USSF REFEREE SESSIONS NOW AVAILABLE
- Successfully completing the Grassroots Entry Level Course makes you a USSF Referee - so you can ref Travel games.
- There is both online training (free of charge) and on-field training ($65). You must complete the online sessions before signing up for on-field training.
- You must be 14 years old to get started.
- This is not MLSA-only training. This is a national certification that puts you in the USSF Referee Program, administered locally by the Western PA Referee Committee.
HOW DO I SIGN UP?
Go to http://www.wparef.com/ and click the "Become A Referee" tab, where you will find:
- General information about becoming and remaining a referee
- How to register for accounts in the two systems that you will use for training/registration
- After you register for your accounts you will have access to online instruction which:
- MUST be completed at least one week prior to the on-field session
- Takes 4-6 hours and can be done in sections
- Step-by-step instructions on obtaining and submitting your clearances (for all) and work permits (for minors)
- These need not be submitted prior to your instruction, but must be submitted before you receive your badge and are therefore able to referee
- SafeSport training must also be completed. This takes about an hour and can be done in sections.
- If you need fingerprints (18+), allow several weeks for processing
- Information on referee uniforms/equipment
- IMPORTANT: Your Entry Level Course is just the beginning. Referees must recertify annually, to keep up with new information on the Laws and administrative matters.
PRO TIPS FOR GAME OFFICIALS:
- Make sure to specify Mt Lebanon as your "Home Association" under Contact Info. That's how you get on the Lebo list for assigning.
- Make sure to list an email address you actually use, the State Referee Committee frequently sends out important info to all refs via email.
- You will use this same system every year to sign up for your re-certification.